DATA SHARING TO CREATE THE FUTURE OF MOBILITY
Move EU, the leading voice of the European ride-hailing sector, embraces the potential and importance of data for a modern mobility system. Data is at the heart of our members.
Every minute of every day, they generate millions of pieces of data concerning mobility. This data informs decision-making and is being used to optimize transport operations and allow passengers to make better as well as more efficient decisions about their journeys.
The mobility systems of the future are likely to be very different from what exists in most of the world today. We have witnessed in recent years a proliferation of transport options available to consumers. Furthermore, consumers are increasingly combining multiple forms of transport (e.g. motorized and non-motorized transport modes, or public and private modes of transport) within the same journey. Data has underpinned this growth and development.
Mobility providers continuously generate hundreds of thousands of data points related to vehicle movement. This data, alongside various other types of data, can form the basis of a powerful insight for cities and local regulators as to how traffic moves around a city, how consumers use services, and about the interactions between different modes of transport in a specific area.
This combined data can help authorities to:
- Better plan the current road and traffic infrastructure
- Manage congestion and make better traffic and planning decisions
- Identify and enable timely interventions in incidents occurring on transport networks
- Provide travellers with real-time information on the status of the network, thereby allowing them to make informed transportation choices
- Create greater complimentary services for public and private transport
Move EU believes that regulatory measures at the EU level can ensure trust of all actors in a data-driven transport policy, and foster innovation and cooperation in the transport sector without stifling competition.